Monday, November 22, 2010

More Vatican...Incredible pizza...and Im off to Barcelona!

So here are some more images of the vatican museums.  Like I said before, the place was huge and I have endless photos from just that tour.
One of my favorite rooms was the room of animals, filled with really dynamic animal sculptures
everybody loves a cool domed celing
dramatic much


really famous raphael fresco - school of athens
I definitely snuck my camera into the sistine chapel and stole a few pictures.  They are really strict and say that they are not allowed, but luckily im one of the few people in my group with a really small camera, so it doesnt stand out.  Got some good pictures of the famous ceiling and the last judgement on the wall.  Very cool to see in real life after always hearing about these frescos
Ceiling!
The last judgement
Famous ramp at the end
Soon after that tour, we got to take another trip to a construction site.  This is the site for the new congress building in Rome.  A project by Fuksas, the title is "the cloud."  Pretty dramatic right?  The idea is a floating cloud inside a glass and steel box that hold the new congress.  Of course, the concept is cool, but nothing is ever that simple.  After visiting the construction site, it was clear that they were going to have trouble getting this "cloud" feeling across considering the huge quantities and masses of steel they had to use to even create the form of the cloud.  But after visiting the site it will definitely be interesting to see how it comes across in the end and how the site is eventually transformed.
Does it look like a cloud yet? hmm
 And then last night, I had the best pizza in Rome.  Legit, it was awesome.  This place was called Dar Poeta and they had so many different pizza choices.  I saw one that had salmon on it and had to go for it.  It had gorgonzola cheese, mozerrella, rucola and salmon.  mmmmm.  The salmon was awesome on a pizza and the gorgonzola was also excellent.  Definitely going back there.

Excited to dig in
Digging in hardcore
 And for dessert, apparantly this restaurant is famous for their nutella and ricotta cheese calzones.  Sounds incredible right?? well it was.  Covered in powdered sugar and cocoa, filled with warm and steamy nutella and sweet ricotta cheese.  What a meal.  I left extremely stuffed.  This was my celebratory dinner after finishing our last review before our final.  Definitely bringing my sister back here when she gets here, one of my fave restaurants so far.
Yes please
Messy and delicious
Now I am off to BARCELONA for thanksgiving break! I am sooo excited.  I keep saying we are going to have to find a spanish turkey and some spanish pumpkin pie somewhere for our own little thanksgiving.  We leave tomorrow night and will be there for 4 nights.  Im not bringing my computer with me, but will be taking another huge amount of photos, so I will update when I get back.  Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment