Sunday, November 21, 2010

Church project and Vatican Museums part 1

This whole post basically revolves around our urban and architectural history class.  This class is responsible for a lot of our sight seeing, museum visiting, exploring and understanding of Rome.  We have one project during the semester and we basically get to choose any building from the Renaissance and write all about it.  The building I chose is the one below.  San'Agostino.  I was reading in one of the texts that is required for the class, and they started criticizing the proportions and the composition of this church.  I thought that was unusual because I was just so used to reading about how big, how pretty, how awesome every church is.  But this one was somewhat of an experiment during the time and they inevitably got a few things wrong.  So it sparked my interest and now I'm writing a paper on it. Its pretty interesting and the scrolls on the upper left and right of the front facade are the main subject of the criticism.  They author of the paper basically called them hugely disproportionate.  oops!
Front facade
huge side buttresses
Interior, restoration on the ceiling and right aisle
Then we got to go to the Vatican Museums with our class! That was sooo awesome and they are so big.  There was so much to see, I dont think we saw it all in our 4 hour class. We missed out on the egyptian and etruscan portions of the museum.  But I'll probably go back when my sister comes in december or at some point.  I dont even know where to start, there were rooms and rooms and courtyards, and halls, and everything filled with sculptures and paintings.  We even got to see a few special rooms not open to the public because our professor has some good connections I guess.
hall of sculptures. original

Really cool ramp


joelle knows what this one is? Its really cool and apparently well known

room not open to public.  vips only haha
Chicken Parm! Cant go wrong with an american twist on italian food.  We had our chicken parm and watched some of the earlier harry potter movies, in preparation for the new one. Its a good thing everyone here loves harry potter.

No comments:

Post a Comment