Wednesday, November 17, 2010

More modern site visits and our new site

So our more recent Italian tours and adventures have included more modern site visits and explorations.  While the historic center of Rome doesnt contain much (any) modern architecture, the outlying area has some pretty impressive projects.  We visited Renzo Piano's three auditoriums.  They were pretty decent (I thought they looked like bugs on the outside) and the insides didnt seem to be anything too special.  But always good to see different things.
Giant bug auditorium
Cool wooden rehearsal hall
Roof of the stadium I showed last post
 Next we went to Zaha Hadid's MAXXI Museum.  This one was pretty awesome, in my opinion.  It recently won the Pritzker Prize this past year(International architecture award, basically for the best building in the world).  So we went to it with pretty high expectations and ready to be impressed.  And I was.  The museum was really unique and I really liked the overall form of the museum.  Im still up in the air about the rest of Zaha's works, sometimes they can be a little blobby, but I'll definitely admit I like this one.  She does a lot of cool things.  Plus shes an Iraqi women who basically is ruling the architecture world from her office in London.
exterior view
Pretty cool stairs
Pretty cool couch, right?
I thought this was the coolest exhibit
And I dont know if I've shown these pictures yet, but this is the site of our new project.  Using a fascist building, we have to modify it in any way we want.  We basically have free reign and can do anything we feel like to the site (very unusual for us, and kind of hard to figure out a good direction to go with the project) but its a cool project because its another one thats totally different than what I have ever done.  So here is our fascist church (slightly ironic because Mussolini didnt like the Catholic church, but thats another story).  I'll have to show you how we are mutating it in a future post
The church for our project
Symmetrical much?

No comments:

Post a Comment